Re: Scary thought

I have a theory on this.  It's hard to get players to give all out
effort every night for an 82 game season.  Coaches that can get
the most out of their team by getting them to work hard can come
away with regular season record that's above their actual talent
level (see 96/97 Miami Heat - although to be fair T Hardaway
was great last year).

Full court pressing defense is tough for a team to handle when they
aren't used to seeing it, and here is the crux of it.  In any multigame
series, the opposing team is going to learn how to handle that pressure
and force you to win another way.

I think this is what plagued the Sonics in the early/mid 90's.  Teams
adjusted to their defense.  Without the turnovers, the Sonics didn't
get the fast break points.  Their half court game was non existant.
Now they have enough backcourt talent in Payton and Hawkins to open
up their half court sets.

Anyway, the end of it is, I think the C's will have a better regular
season record than some more talented teams, and possibly make the
playoffs.  But in the playoffs, every team plays hard, and they won't
go anywhere unless we get a some kind of star player for the half court.

Kevin Smith
Celtics/Nuggets fan