Vin Baker ~smokescreen?

There was a report in one of this week's sports sections here in the Twin Cities
about a possible trade of Gugliotta (plus something else, cash or pick, I don't
remember what) for Baker. The next day K. McHale was quoted as saying that he
was not interested in trading Guggs as he was extremely happy with him.  So it
might be that the Bucks are attempting to drum up some interest for Baker as a
ploy to get the Celtics to make a move if, as everyone seems to agree, they are
interested in having him on the team ( and of course, he's made it clear he
wants to play for them). It seems there might be a little poker game going right
now betw. some of the GMs so let's not show our cards just yet. I have stated
previously that I'd ~love~ to see Baker on the team.  Some on the list pencil
him in at center. Is he a center?  I know he plays forward for Milw., but does
he have the body,temperment and skills to play center night in and night out?  I
haven't seen him enough to know myself.

As for the draft I'm perfectly willing to give Pitino free rein and sink or swim
with him at the helm for at least the next 3 to 5 yrs.  However the draft works
out I think we're in decent position to get 2 solid, potential all-star,
players. 1 and 3 would've been nice but 3 and 6 is ok too. Pitino's job right
now is make sure we get the best players available with the picks we have.  I'm
very confident he'll get the job done.  I've enjoyed reading everyone's opinions
on who the Cs should pick, I'm just glad it's not me doing the picking.  Of
course on the other hand, like many on the list, I'd be loving it if I really
were the GM of the Celtics!  We never would have fallen this low in the first
place, right? ;)

I'm waiting patiently for the draft and already anxious to see the revamped
Celtics next season.  Wondering too if the Bulls will win it all again.

Bob