Re: anyone see Chanel 68 sportstalk last night?

- ----------
> From: RACE --- <race@midusa.net>
> To: celtics <celtics@igtc.COM>; smishra <smishra@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Re: anyone see Chanel 68 sportstalk last night?
> Date: Wednesday, May 21, 1997 5:08 PM
>
> How about this group:
>
> Baker, Walker, Battie or Cato or Foyle, Williams, Wesley, Fox, Brown,
> Minor (trade  #6 pick and Ellison, Rajda and other cap troubles - for a
> semi-veteran swingman and a first round pick next year.)

Sounds good, but how are we going to get Baker?  He's not a free agent
until after next year, so we would have to trade something to get him.  And
it can't be just draft picks either because we would be over the salary cap
with Bakers salary (around 3.75 million).  We certainly couldn't get him
and still resign Fox and Wesley, even if we are somehow able to unload Dino
and Pervis (although Pervis isnt worth anything to anyone, and Dino may be
worth something to a veteran playoff team like chicago, LA, Houston, or
Seattle,  but not 5 million).  Overall it's a good plan, but i don't see
any team out there that's dumb enough to trade for Pervis or any of our
other "cap troubles" except maybe Dino.  The bottom line is that Pitino is
going to have to make do with what we have until these long term contracts
run out.

The other thing they said on channel 68 last night is that we won't be able
to resign both Fox and Wesley.  It will most likely either be one or the
other, or maybe even neither of them.

> This gives us a fairly good core.  We might pick up another strong free
> agent veteran for a supporting role.  And potentially two lottery picks
> again next year.
>
> With this group we could set goals not in terms of playoffs but in terms
> of home court percentage overall, within conference percentage home and
> away, within division percentage home and away.
>
> What do people feel reasonable goals for these various categories would
> be?

I'm not putting any expectations on next season except for what Pitino has
already said, that the team will be more fun to watch.  With the poor
signings that the team made in the past, Pitino is most likely going to
have to make do with what we have.  I think that guys like Brown and Minor
will play bigger roles in Pitino's system, so at least we will be able to
use them productively.  Like i said before, Radja may have some trade value
to a veteran team that is trying to make a run at the title next year, but
Ellison will just have to be a very expensive bench warmer.

Jeff