Damn Shoestring

        I guess we should have all expected M. L. "Let Me Drive Your" Carr
to be unprepared for the NBA draft lottery.  He shows up empty-handed for
the big drawing, not even bothering to pack one of his lucky towels.  Sixers
GM, Pat Croce, on the other hand, brings along a Waterford crystal ball and
a piece of shoestring.  The shoestring, as I understand it, was the key
item.  This talisman was given to Croce by Andrew Toney (alias, "The Boston
Strangler") a few days before the lottery.  Toney told Croce that it was for
good luck and would keep the Celtics from getting the #1 pick in the draft.
Okay, so Croce was prepared, but geesh, wouldn't just one of Bird's old
sweatsocks have trumped that damn string?

        So, why didn't M.L. bring along a lucky charm?  I'm sure there were
plenty of off-season leprechauns available to make the trip.  [Am I right to
assume the wee-lucky-ones weren't all left behind in the old Garden?]
Besides, any number of us would have gladly given M. L. a freshly-plucked
four-leaf clover, if we'd known he was planning to go in that room unarmed.
But NO-O-O-O-O!  Mr. M. L. "Good Vibrations" Carr figures he's packing
enough of his own juice to induce the big rabbit right out of the hat.  Oh
yeah, um-hmm, sure, right.  And whose idea was it to send M. L. in the first
place?  I mean, the man's on one of the worst rolls in modern history.
Look, for the past two years, blacks cats have been seen walking under
ladders to avoid crossing his path!  Hello?  Didn't anyone else hear the
sound of Lady Luck jumping out the window the instant M. L. was chosen to
represent the Celtics on Lottery Sunday?

        Oh well, I just had to get that off my chest.  There's not much we
can do now, just make the best of 3 & 6, I guess.  As for the future, let's
hope this Carr is not allowed back out on the road any time soon.

Better Luck Next Year,
J:)e