Don't Stop Thinking About Tomorrow

If I remember correctly, we have at least one Aussie subscriber on this
list.  Does he/she or anyone else know anything about this Chris
Anstey dude (the 7' center from the Australian Pro League)?  Leventhal
has him slotted at the top of the second round.

The way I see it, the C's have to go for the best available player.
Let's assume Philly drafts for need and takes Battie (or even Foyle) --
with Iverson, Stackhouse, Weatherspoon & Coleman, what else would they
do?  The bright spot is that at 3 the C's will be able to pick between
Mercer and Van Horn, and Pitino should know better than anyone whether
Mercer really is the second coming of Grant Hill.  The concern is that
the C's are desperate at the 5 and the 1, and they won't be able to fill
both of those needs with the two lottery picks.  Given the salary cap
constraints, I'm not sure a trade will solve these problems -- maybe
Radja and the 6 for Vin Baker and future considerations would work, but
that still leaves us short a true center.  Maybe we should just take
Cato at the 6, hope he gives us the solid low post defense and
rebounding we need so badly and look to Walker, Mercer or Van Horn and
Williams off the bench for offense.

I imagine that all this makes re-signing David Wesley an absolute
imperative; on the other hand, I suspect we've seen the last of Rick
Fox.  If so, Pitino had better teach everybody else how to play defense.

I refuse to give up hope at the loss of Duncan (in fact, I can feel the
sour grapes factor kicking in right now -- who the hell needs the second
coming of Brad Daugherty anyway?), but it does mean that Pitino will
have a more interesting time earning his paycheck.

Michael Gooen