Re: Larry interview on NBC

At 03:20 PM 5/18/97 -0400, R. Bentz Kirby wrote:
>I saw a portion of an interview with Larry Bird on the pre-game show.
>It was very interesting.  I wish I had seen the whole thing.  If anyone
>did, I would appreciate a report.  Even if it is from TOPE34@aol.com,
>because even thought I COULD watch NBC, I didn't know it was on and
>missed it.

Basically, Larry said he was never offered any sort of position in the front
office or bench. He didn't verbally say he was upset because of it, but you
could tell by his expression that he was.

He also said he didn't ever think his advice was ever heard. The Dominique
signing was brought up. Larry said, even though he has alot of respect for
Wilkins, he was against that signing because Wilkins was near the end of his
career.

Larry also said he expects all the Pacers players to lose respect for him
about 2 hours into their first practice, when "they're doubled over and
can't catch their breath".

Peter Vescey asked Larry what he would do if a player told him, during a
timeout in the last seconds of a game, that he wanted the last shot (a la
Larry telling KC what to do). Larry said, "If that player has stayed ater
practice, preparing for that shot, if he has earned the chance to take that
shot, he gets it." Larry made a point to say he used to shoot 1000 times a
day. And some wonder why he was so great....

There was more, but that's what I can remember from it. Appologies to those
who watched NBC at the time. No insult intended...

	 	    ______________      __   ___   ___
	 	   |              \    /  | |   | |   |
	 	   |___     ___    \  /   | |   | |   |
	 	       |   |   |    \/    | |   |_|   |

			     Jon Michael Hamm
			  JonMichael@Honors.ou.edu

    	3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.
    	     Ever stop to think, and forget to start again?
      		Illiterate?  Write today for free help!