Draft, Campbell/Van Exel

Van Exel is a smoking gun.  He could blow up at any time. Statistically
speaking, personally speaking, I would take Wesley any day.  He plays
better defense, he's a better shooter.  His total upside may not be quite
where Van Exel's is.  Nick, to his credit, can make utterly HUGE shots at
the ends of games, but he can also disappear for long stretches, cranky
because he's not the Man.

Campbell played real well when Shaq went down, and I think did okay in the
Portland series.  It's not his fault he got mauled in the 2nd round by Karl
Malone, who does that to _everyone_.  Karl Malone absolutely kills people.
I saw a chart showing his performances agains the "top" power forwards in
the league during last season.  Malone absolutely mauled them. Speaking of
forwards Karl Malone likes to maul, I wouldn't be surprised to see Derrick
Coleman in a Lakers uni next season, and Campbell in Philly.  Campbell can
play center, Philly needs one.  At draft pick#5 they can pick up local
product Tim Thomas (this will probably leave Foyle), play him at 3, and
'Spoon at 4, and they're good to go.

I am curious to hear more about Foyle.  I find it hard to believe the guy's
another Dare.  That he is a project is a good possibility, however,
Pitino's supposed to be the best teacher in the game.  Good home for a
project that could turn into an Olajuwon.

My defense of Wesley said and done, let me reiterate that that I think
Knight will be the best point guard drafted this year.  In terms of the
draft, I am torn between the Celtics' need for big men, and their need for
a revamped backcourt.  If we ended up with either 1) Duncan, Knight, and
Derek Anderson, or 2) Duncan and Foyle, I would be an extremely content
Celtics fan.  I will not be content with Mercer and Tim Thomas.  I will be
apoplectic.  Pitino seems to understand that the C's need big and small,
not medium.

I would not look for an immediate dismantling of this team, folks.  Part of
the reason it was so bad was the coaching.  Another was injuries.  Give me
a healthy roster, add in this year's draft picks and Rick Pitino to bring
it all together to the full extent of its potential, and this team may
progress far quicker than anyone, including Rick Pitino, is willing to
prognosticate or consider.

Comments?