Pitino

Story from ESPN at

http://espnet.sportszone.com/nba/news/970505/00225951.html

BOSTON -- Kentucky coach Rick Pitino is reportedly headed to the Boston
Celtics.  WBZ-TV in Boston is reporting that Pitino has agreed to a
10-year contract to become coach and director of basketball operations
of the Celtics.  The official announcement is expected on Tuesday.
Pitino met with his players Sunday night and is scheduled to meet with
Kentucky athletic director C.M. Newton on Tuesday.

"We will get together on Tuesday," Newton told ESPN Radio.  "I hope the
matter will be resolved after that.  I think the Celtics are the one
team ... You have to understand, Rick is a basketball purist and
traditionalist.  It was one of the reasons we got him from the Knicks.
"I think the challenge appeals to him, just like this one did. He has a
real career decision to make.  It's probably the only job that piques
his interest."

WHAS Radio in Louisville reported that Pitino had spoken with Celtics
special assistant Larry Bird more than once about coaching the Celtics,
who need a major overhaul. The Boston Globe reported that Bird made the
call to Pitino during the season at the request of Celtics chairman Paul
Gaston to see if he would have "interest in the (Celtics) job down the
road."   Pitino declined a lucrative offer to return to the NBA as coach
and director of operations of the New Jersey Nets after leading Kentucky
to the national championship in 1996.  The offer included part ownership
of the franchise as well as control of player personnel.

Pitino has coached at Kentucky for the last eight years.  He previously
served as an NBA coach with the New York Knicks, where he had a 90-74
record in two years. New York finished 24-58 in 1986-87 and improved to
38-44 the following season in Pitino's first year.  The Knicks went
52-30 under Pitino in 1988-89.  But philosophical differences with
general manager Al Bianchi caused Pitino to leave the Knicks and he
accepted the Kentucky job in 1989.

- --
Peace,

Bentz