Celtics Woes

tjoyce@mit.edu wrote, among other things:

> Nope, I'm mad as hell with the jerking around that is going on.  We're
> fans.  We pay the cash. Look what happened to baseball when they
> forgot the fans.

I'm one of those people whose paid the cash for season tix for five years after
seven years on the wait list. What happens in the next few
weeks wil determine if keep my seats next season.

Regardless of who is coach and who is GM, the C's go nowhere without
the #1 pick, presumably Duncan. Having said that, here's what I think I'll do.

Coach        GM           First pick       What I do
Pitino       Bird         Duncan           Keep seats. This combo
                                           will generate enough interest
                                           for me to sell games I don't
                                           want to see myself.
Pitino       Pitino       Duncan           Keep seats.
Pitino       Carr         Duncan           Tough call, but probably keep.
Hill         Bird         Duncan           Tough call. Probably dump.
Hill         Carr         Duncan           Dump
DJ           Carr         Duncan           Dump
Brown        Bird         Duncan           Probably dump
Anyone       Anyone       not Duncan       Dump

I too am frustrated. I'll still do to a few games next season even if I
dump my seats just because I enjoy going to games. The only way to get
our message across as fans is to stay home until ThanksDad feels it in his
wallet.

I heard interviews with Bob Hill (caught the end) and with Kentucky's
athletic director CK (didn't catch his last name). Hill was talking with
Eddie Andelman and said "Bird is an icon in Indiana, they love him
there" and thought Bird could easily end up there as coach or GM or
both.

At this point, Eddie questioned which side of the street Bird was on. I
can't blame Eddie for this. Here's Bird running around interviewing coaches for
the C's while he's talking about going to
Indiana. Hill also said that he didn't think Bird would be a good coach
because he's a perfectionist and wouldn't have the patience to put up
with today's players.

Glenn Ordway interviewed CK. CK talked in circles. First, he said that
he wanted to sign a contract with Pitino to a length of Pitino's
choosing (3-5 years) and end this game that goes on every Spring about Pitino
going back to the pros. Ordway said "but doesn't Pitino
have three years left on his contract and that he has an out clause?" He
also asked CK if he'd want to no longer have an out clause so he could
lock up Pitino? CK only said that he wanted to sign Pitino and end the
speculation, but he also said that Rick should make up his mind and
either sign another contract at Kentucky or move on to the pros.

I can really envision the C's blowing it, especially now that ThanksDad
seems to be getting invilved in the coach hiring. We could easliy lose
Pitino and Brown (not that I think much of Brown), and end up with Hill reporting
to ML. But, the real answer will come on May 18 (the
lottery).

Replace "nospam" with "world" to reply
...Martin