Re:

Rick MacDonald wrote:

>You sound like the kind of fan who thought a 6 ft 9 forward out of
>Indiana was too slow too white,not quick enough, and couldn't jump and
>would be a bust as a first round pick.

I've never questioned Opie's ability as a basketball player.

>ML is like a cult leader.. a very good talker,who can make anyone believe
>what >he is saying is true.

No...he's worked in the organization. Larry's the one who's done nothing
but talk. It seems to me that a lot people have bought into the "Bird Can
Do No Wrong" mythology.

>As for getting the celtics family to help him, that seems to tell me that
>he is >beginning to doubt his own abilities or at least beginning to
>realize his >limitations.

You mean he's not arrogant or self-deluded, hasn't bought into the "ML Can
Do No Wrong Myth," isn't afraid to take advice, realises that he doesn't
know everything or have all the answers, and respects other peoples'
opinions knowledge and experience. In other words...he's a reasonable human
being who's capable of growth! Oh shit....not that!

>The guy can talk.  I'll give him that.

He can also work, take responsiblity for his actions, make a nice little
trade, pick a couple nice draft picks and take a shot on a guard that Jerry
West didn't even want and turn him into a player.

>What did ML have going for him when he was hired again?

The guts to take responsibility for a franchise that was going nowhere.
Where was Big Larry when the hard decisions had to be made?

Paul M