Globe Coverage

At least from this Celtic's fans perpective, today's (Saturday 3/29) Boston
Globe was well worth the 50 cents, and for a change a little more positive.
 Check out the story on Tim Duncan at  www.boston.com/globe, and Will
McDonough's column lead on why ML Carr should coach this team next year.
 Finally, I thought that this story in the Celtics Notebook by Michael Holley
was nice.  ML is a class act, regardless of what we think of his coaching
abilities.....

Celtics Notebook: Carr donates hope to woman
By Michael Holley, Globe Staff, 03/29/97

PHILADELPHIA - A true Philadelphia Story:
M.L. Carr walked into a Starbucks yesterday and saw
an employee with a frown.
``You should smile,'' he told her.
``I don't feel like smiling,'' she replied.
The Celtics coach and director of basketball operations
asked why. The employee, who had no idea who Carr
was, told him she had fallen on hard financial times. Her
paycheck wasn't what she expected it to be and now the
family was going to struggle even more than she thought.
Carr's response: ``Hey, buy me a cup of coffee.''
The employee was confused; hadn't he heard what she
said?
Carr repeated the request for coffee and added that if
she bought it, he would match her paycheck.
She doubted him. He asked to see the check and saw
that it was for $200. He reached into his pocket and
peeled off 10 $20 bills. The woman, teary-eyed, thanked
him as he walked away. She said the gift was timely
because she wasn't quite sure how bills were going to be
paid.
Carr later told Celtics broadcaster Spencer Ross that he
was simply thankful he was in a position to help someone
else.