Trading for Baker

There continues to be a lot of talk and speculation about Baker coming to the
Celtics.  He would be a great addition to this team, as a young, strong
athletic PF who can do spot duty in the middle.  Drafting Duncan, and
packaging a deal for Baker would make a lot of sense, but let's examine the
requirements for this to happen.

1. Milwaukee is not as dumb as Dallas, and will want value for value.
2. Due to salary cap rules, we must include a player with a salary that is
within 15% of Bakers for this to work. I don't know what Baker is making, but
it is probably in the $3.5-4.5M range.
3. The value in return to Milwaukee must be percieved as players or picks
that Chris Ford would accept, assuming of course that he is still the coach.
This leaves out the possibility of packaging Dino Radja to Milwaukee.

With that said, here is one possibility:

1. Boston sends Brown or Barros plus the Dallas pick (5-7 range) plus
Boston's second round pick to Milwaukee for Baker and Milwaukee's first round
pick (in the 11-13 range).  This deal works for both sides if Milwaukee can
get a low post replacement for Baker with the Dallas pick, lets say Tony
Battie, Adonal Foyle or Antiwan Jamison.

Milwaukee gets rid of a player (Baker) who doesn't want to be there, and gets
Brown and Battie plus Boston's round 2 pick.  Not a bad deal for them.

Boston get Baker to put on the front line with Walker and Duncan.  EW, Dino,
and Barros now come off the bench.  Wesley and Fox or Minor start at guard,
and with the Milwaukee selection we can get a point guard such as Vaughn or
Knight to back up Wesley.

The 1997 Roster

Start:  Wesley, Fox, Duncan, Walker, Baker
Bench: Radja, Barros, Minor, Williams, Ellison, Conlon, Vaughn
Gone: Day, Brown (or Barros),Szabo, Brick, and Lister

Coaching:

If Pitino doesn't come here, I would like to see ML move into the front
office with Bird in an expanded role, and bring Westphal in here  to coach.
 I am not sure DJ is ready yet.  DJ and KC Jones are two of the all time
greatest defenders ever to play the game, and yet they have not made their
mark on this teams' defensive intensity.  I doubt that ML is not giving them
the opportunity to show some leadership.  When I attend games or watch on TV,
I notice that these guys seem to take a back seat on the bench.  ML Carr is
not Bill Fitch.  If DJ or KC have something to say, I am sure that ML would
let them.  What gives????