Re: Knight vs Vaughn

On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Roy Enrile wrote:

> Knight just played himself into the lottery.
>
> Strengths:
> 1st step like Iverson, Solid shooter, passer. Bird type poise.
> Every play he makes is NBA caliber.  E.W. would love to play
> with this guy(easy penetration/dish plays).
> More of a force on the court than Ron Mercer for example.
>
> Weakness: Way way under 6'
>

> Vaughn is like Bob Hurley, great for moving the ball around
> in a passing offense, and running a fast break w/ talented
> wingmen.
>
> Strengths:
> Better than Knight creating on the break.  Would be a pretty
> marketable player for the C's(houshold name)
>
> Weakness:
> Sherm Douglas height, build, and shooting.
>
> Shooting as a weakness is something that can be learned and practiced.
  Gary Payton was an extremely average shooter when he came into the
league. However, build and height aren't so easily improved. Also, Vaughn
is a much better defender, which is the trademark of Gary Payton.

Let me throw another name into the pot who just played his way to a much
higher spot in the draft. Bobby Jackson of Minnesota.  Big Ten player of
the year, Big Ten DEFENSIVE player of the year. Went off for 36 last night
against Clemson. Big time clutch player. Maybe the C's should take a hard
look at the man from KEVIN MCHALE'S old alma mater. There are several
players starring for NBA teams who came from the Big Ten. Maybe we should
try another one?