Re: Duncan

> > 	1.  Tim Duncan - possibly the best college center in the last 10 years
> > decides to stay in school until the Celtics are the 2nd worst team in the NBA.
>
> Best to play center in college?  No, Laettner was better, as was Shaq.
>
> Will make the best center in the pros?  No, he won't be as good as
> Mourning, or Mutombo.
>
> But he is damn good.
>
> CJM

Woops.  Hit the wrong button and sent no message.  Sorry for the post that lacked on topic content (as a matter of fact, any content :) ).

I have had Wake season's tix for 4 years so on ne hand I have seen a LOT of
Tim Duncna, but on the other hand, I am biased.

Duncan is a better center than Laettner without a doubt.  He is a superior
defender and arguably the best rebounder in the ACC in 30 years.  Laettner
is a much better shooter, but shooters are easier to come by that solid
defensive, rebounding, passing centers.

Shaq is probably better as a pro, but didn't have Tim's numbers as a college
player (20 ppg, 15 rpg, 4 blocks).  Shaq can dominate a game like few others
can.

Better than Mourning or Mutombo?  Probably.  Tim is a team player unlike
Mourning whose game can be quite disruptive.  Tim led Wake in assists this year
as well as leading the ACC in scoring, rebounding, fg% and blocks.  All three
are good defensively.  Duncan is better offensively than Mutombo and probably
a better defender than Mourning.  Duncan is only 20 years old (21 in May
I think).

I see Duncan being dominant early in his career as a defender and a rebounder.
He will score from inside but his 10-12 ft J is limited.  He will pass well when
double teamed.  I suspect he will average about 14 ppg and 12 rpg in his
rookie season and, like Moses Malone or Olajowon, will improve every
year for 4-5 years, at which point he will average 18-20 ppg and 14 rpg as
well as 3-4 assists per game.  He will be an outstanding pro, although maybe
not a dominant pro.

My take.

Fred