David Wesley

By David Moore of the Dallas Morning News

Making a point

Boston's David Wesley makes $350,000.
He will shatter that figure when he becomes a free agent at the end of the
season.
"I got my opportunity to play here," said Wesley, who averages 16.4 points,
7.4 assists and 2.32 steals for the Celtics. "I want to come back here. But
then, it's one of those situations you don't know which way they are going to
go."
The Celtics want to resign Wesley. But the price will be steep.
Wesley is a proven point guard who will draw strong interest on the open
market. A figure to keep in mind is the six-year, $24 million deal Chris
Childs signed with the Knicks.
"He walked into a gold mine," Wesley said. "It was a fortunate situation for
him. It does take a little luck and timing.
"Hopefully, that will happen to me. Hopefully, the Celtics think I'm
comparable to him. I think I'm a better player than him. But it depends on
what they think."
What Houston and New Jersey must think is they made a mistake in not
signing Wesley earlier in his career when they had the chance.
"I felt like people assumed I would always be a backup, and probably some
felt like I would never make it," Wesley said. "I'm sure they thought I would
be a backup or fizzle. I don't think a lot of teams think I can shoot the
ball or
handle the ball.
"But everytime I go out, I play hard and let them know I deserve to be here."