Re: Pitino

          Remember Pitino with the Knicks? He turned them around and
          he could do the same thing with Boston. He is not just
          another college coach. Personally, I think of the group you
          mentioned, only Riley has proven himself capable of winning
          with any hand dealt him. Jackson has Jordan, Collins has
          Hill, Cowens has Rice, Tomjanovich has Hakeem, Karl has
          Kemp and Payton and Sloan has Stockton and Malone. I'm not
          discounting the coaches' influence, but how many of these
          guys had to build something from the bottom up? You can make
          a case for Cowens, but the rest were dealt a pretty good
          hand to start with.

What's the big deal with Pitino?  It doesn't seem like he's in the same
league as current NBA coaches: Jackson, Riley, Collins, Cowens,
Tomjonavich, Karl, Sloan.  There is a similarity in all of these -- they
know the pro game not the college game from a lifetime of experience.
They all played ball and moved into coaching.

Pitino has flash but I've yet to hear what he would bring to the
Celtics that is so impressive.

dbr