Re: Trade for a better pick?

At 11:21 PM 97.3.10 -0500, ManChul Park wrote:
>On Mar 11,  4:02am, Steve Chomicz wrote:
>> Being a conservative betting man i think the celtics will probably get
>> the #3 pick and the #5 (dallas) pick.
>>
>> The celtics have a shot that the realistic #3 pick may with SOME luck
>> of the cards, actually end up as the #2 pick for the celtics with
>> vancouver having the #1.  Therefore, I think the celtics should trade
>> Dino and the Dallas (#5) pick to vancover for their pick.  This
>> probably now guarantees the celts the #2 pick with a good shot at the
>> #1 pick.
>>
>> Clear as green beer?

>Ah.... One thing...  Vancouver can't get the 1st pick.  Also, someone had to
>be really CRAZY to go for #5 pick this year and Dino for Duncan, unless
>they know something about Duncan that we don't know.  I hope that was a
>joke. (Especially considering that Dino makes over 5 million dollars)

Vancouver is excluded from the #1 pick (and I assume this is true even if
they trade their pick to another team). Thus assuming Vanc comes in last in
the standings then the team with the #2 worst record has the best chance
for the #1 pick, but the team with the #3 worst record drops two slots to
have a best shot at #3. This is why talk of San Antonio tanking it worries
me. If they "overtake" the Celts we go from top contention for Duncan to
contention for the #3. I wish there were a way to package #3 and #5 into
the #1, but I don't see either Philly or SA going for a deal like that.

- -Marc