Re: coaches

If Pitino is interested, I say do whatever it takes to bring him here.
          Not only is he an outstanding coach, he is one of the few
          individuals with the stature to lure free agents here and
          then get them to perform (a la, Pat Riley). If Pitino
          refuses (I have to think there's some truth to all the
          rumors about his interest in the Celtics), then promote DJ.
          I wouldn't be interested in any other college coaches or pro
          retreads.

Gene Kirkpatrick wrote re: Subject: Coaches
<snip>
>Second, while I like Pitino, his price tag makes him unlikely.  I think we
>should consider either an experienced coach like Gene Keady of Purdue
>or a young coach like Tim Price of ISU or the guy at S. Carolina.  I have no
>idea if any of these care for a pro job, but they are excellent coaches;
>Pitino isn't the only one out there.

A suggestion made on the newsgroup with some merit was to bring in Bill
Fitch. Don't scream yet, read on. Not as a permanent solution -we agreed
that Fitch is not the coach to bring you to a championship, and his drill
sargent act can wear thin after a couple years. But bring him in for a
couple years to do what he has proven he is very good at -meld a bad group
that's getting an infusion of young talent into a more disciplined actual
'team' that has learned the fundamental basketball that too many guys now
come into the league without. In other words, get him to move them up the
step from bad to good, then bring in someone else for the next step to
contender/hopefully great.
OTOH my dream is to convince Phil Jackson that he needs a new challenge and
doesn't need the aggrevation of dealing with his own management anymore. I
believe he's on a one year contract. Comments?
- -Kim
Kim Malo
kmalo19@idt.net