Re: Hamer

I'd agree about not getting excited over Hamer, but I would like to temper
that with some optimism.  Hamer, though awkward looking, appears to be
very agile and fairly quick for a 7 footer.  He was crashing the boards
and actually sliding past Davis' trying to box him out to get the
offensive board.  He also showed nice mobility in moving in to protect the
basket and block the shot.  His big strength though were very good hands
and a good sense of where the basket was and how to put the ball in the
hole.  He definately looks like an offensive player - but he also looks
way to skinny to bang inside.  He is going to have to make up a lot with
hustle and height.

Again, on the positive side, I've heard several commens on the radio and
in the paper on Hamer being a scoring threat in practices.  On comment was
basicly that if you get the ball to him under the basket, he always
finishes.

keeping in mind that he is still recovering from knee surgery, he looks
like he has potential as a back-up 4/5, especially on a running team.
Right now he kind of reminds me of Travis Knight (not a huge compliment,
but at least Hamer has the knee as an excuse).  Considering we got him in
the second round, Hamer may turn out to be a decent pick (again I'm not
sure if that is praise or criticism). If Hamer can string together several
more 6-8 point, 3-6 rebound, 1-2 block games, he will have a definate
value to the team in the future (unless we suddenly find a lost fountain
of centers).

Adam