catching up

          A few points after the weekend:

          On Keith Van Horn -- He is not the next Bird, but I'd be
          satisfied with the next Gugliotta.

          On the Dallas pick -- There seems to be a drop off after the
          top five players -- Duncan, Mercer, Van Horn, Battie and
          Thomas (who has said he will come out if he's a top-5 pick).
          If we don't get in the top five, don't be surprised if we
          look at Maurice Taylor of Michigan. I've heard Jon Jennings
          heap praise on him a couple of times and he would fit at
          power forward, assuming the C's see Walker as a long-term
          small forward.

          On the point guard spot -- I'm not so sure Wesley is worth
          Chris Childs money. I like him, but not at 4-mill a year. I
          wish I could come up with another option, but I can't. If we
          do go for a point guard to back up Wesley, I hope it isn't
          Jacque Vaughn. Point guards need to be able to shoot in
          today's NBA. I'd rather go for a Brevin Knight.

          I agree that the Celtics, assuming they don't draft Mercer,
          should hope Derek Anderson falls to them at the top of the
          second round. He is an injury risk, but if he's healthy,
          it's like lucking into another lottery pick. He plans on
          playing in the postseason all-star games, however, and I'm
          betting he plays his way back into the first round.

          New uniforms? Say it ain't so, Red.

          I posted the opinion that size still wins in the NBA, and
          I'll stand by it. The Pistons were among the most physical
          teams in NBA history, even if they did rely on guards for
          most of their offense. The Bulls are an exception in that
          their two best players are perimeter players, but remember,
          they didn't win championships until Horace Grant became a
          physical presence. They lost to the Magic without Horace,
          then returned to the championship after signing Rodman the
          next year. He gives them a physical presence they need.

          Sorry for the long message, but there were several
          interesting postings this weekend. I enjoyed catching up.

          Mark