Re: More Mercer

Lance, IMO Mercer has shown a more complete game than Antoine did last
year, and I am very happy with his performance this near and as a future
building block. You can't teach athleticism.  If we don't land Duncan
anyone we select will have some risk whether it be Mercer, Battie, Thomas,
or Van Horn.  Hopefully we won't have to worry about this.

I have seen Ron play since high school, & believe me Greg Minor has nowhere
near the athletic ability of Ron Mercer.  Picking Jacque Vaughn, who has
not shown any outside shooting ability, with a top 5 pick would be a major
reach.  Picking him with the Dallas pick would definitely be a viable
choice especially if Wesley is gone.

- ----------
> From: Lance Gee <FrannieG@msn.com>
> To: digest subscribers <celtics@igtc.com>
> Subject: More Mercer
> Date: Friday, February 28, 1997 11:54 PM
>
> There are a lot of questions regarding picking up Ron Mercer in the draft

> (hopefully it won't come to that).  I'd like Celtics fans to consider a
couple
> points:
>
> 	1)  To we really risk the highest pick we've had in 17 years on a
college
> sophomore who will need 2-3 years to have a pro game?  Isn't it true that
you
> can find good 2 guards any year, anywhere in the draft  (Reggie Miller,
Kerry
> Kittles, Latrell Spreewell)?
>
> 	2)  Is Ron Mercer as good as Jerry Stackhouse, and if so does that mean
> player of that caliber cannot be expected to be an impact player (look at

> Philly)?  A point guard might be more of an impact.
>
> 	3)  Who has Mercer played against that shows he will be good in the NBA?

> Mercer has not really consistently dominated; he has had a few good
games.

> 	4)  Why would we want Mercer for his defense and athletic ability when
we
> already have Greg Minor who does the same thing and has 3 years of NBA
> experience already?
>
> The only reason we should draft Mercer is because a.) we didn't get
Duncan and
> b.) Pitino will coach the Celtics if they draft Mercer.  Otherwise I
think
> Mercer is a huge gamble.  Let's get an experienced point guard like
Jacque