Re: Draft and others....

- ----------
> From: RAMANI_RITE@lnmta.bentley.edu
> To: celtics@igtc.com
> Subject: Draft and others....
> Date: Friday, February 28, 1997 5:15 PM
>

> Hi..
>      Reading about everyone's opinion on draft and keepers and senders I
> thought I should express my two cents worth.
>      If we get the number one (At this pace we will) Tim Duncan should be
> the no-brainer pick. Depending where the Dallas pick lies, we should
think
> what we should go for. I think if the standing don't dramatically change
> Dallas should get the 8-9th pick. Also noting what Walker said in today
> (Friday's) Boston Globe, we have too many guards. Taking another will
just
> create a backlog of guards, many of those aren't takeable by trade and
will
> have to be renounced or waived off. Dee, Dana have to go. Having Dana is
> luxury for a mediocre team like us. Orlando was once said that they
wanted
> a small guard that can shoot threes, something they once had with Steve
> Kerr. We should trade him for David Vaughn. Vaughn is a power forward
that
> can help out with the rebounding. Dee just has to be waived off. No one
> wants him. He has lost speed and has no outside touch, streaky at most.
San
> Antonio might want him as a third guard backing both Del Negro and
Johnson.
> Trade him for a second round draft pick and Cory Alexander. We get a
point
> guard to back up Wesley should decide to resign.
> Unloading those two creates cap space to pursue free agents. The '98
class
> graduate and maybe someone might want to come over to Boston. (Who, I
> duunno?)
> I really don't want Mercer. Minor is the starter and is adequate enough
for
> us right now. We don't want a team full of superstars. Look at
Philadelphia
> having Iverson, Stackhouse, Coleman and Spoon.
> I think the best for us would be to get Battie if possible.  As a result
> our team looks like this:
> Duncan        Battie
> Walker         Dino
> Fox                Willam
> Minor            Second rounder
> Wesley        Second rounder
>
> What do you think?

I would accept just about anything for Dee, but I am not getting my hopes
up.  Chances are pretty slim to none we will be able to get Duncan &
Battie. Other than Wesley, none of the other guards are acceptable. Minor
has size, but that about it, Dana is too small and a defensive liability,
Day is gone.  Lets move Dana or Minor for a backup point or some low post
help.  Vaughn reminds me of Doug Smith, last years flop.  As stated earlier
things could change dramatically if we lose Wesley & Fox to free agency.