Re:Mr. Gaston

Marc Lamphier wrote:

 I have yet to see a re-evaluation of Gaston appear in the
Globe. I've even seen a few posts in this mailing list where Gaston is
still referred to as "Thanks Dad" -- simply out of habit I guess. I say
let's give the guy his due, he's gone a long way towards earning it.

Well, after the Pitino hiring was announced, I believe the Globe wrote a
few pieces praising Gaston.  I definitely agree with you.  Gaston should
be congratulated for hiring Pitino.  He stepped up to the plate and gave
Pitino the largest contract for a coach in professional sports history.

I think that the "ThanksDad" title was partially deserved before the
Pitino hiring however.  After he inherited the franchise from his father,
he put the Celtics in control of an inexperienced GM (M.L. Carr), and
often made ill advised statements to the media.  Remember the statement
he made to the media a couple of years back.  He said something to the
effect that he knew that the team "stinks".  Globe columnists like Dan
Shaughnessy remember the way the Celtics were run under Cohen, Don
Gaston, and co. during the eighties and were miffed at what Paul Gaston
was doing with the Celtics up until the Pitino hiring.

                                   Eric