No deal is a good deal

Along with about 86% of you (my unofficial guess) I agonized through
the afternoon, hoping the Pippen deal would crash.  Yes, that was me
that called Merrimac Street and said, "they have fallen in love with Pippen
and can't see straight; they will be booed in Boston and laughed at
throughout the league."  I believe that would be the case, especially with
the Bulls able to reload at our expense.

Yet, getting a star (not one of the ten best in the league by my count),
and Longley was not the worst that could have happened.  But, what
would we have had in 2001?  Not Mercer and not Billups!  That's what.
You only get near the trough a few times each decade; better drink
deeply.  In Billups and Mercer we got some talent.  Now we have #1
through #4 in good, soon to be great, shape.  Cast around for a #5 and
we will have a good team soon.

It would have been sad if Wallace and Pitino had outsmarted themselves
on their first draft.  I almost went ballistic; if we ever have a similar draft
day again, I'll go the dentist or something less painful than yesterday.

Gene