Re: Draft and stuff...

- ----------
> From: casey soulies <corndog@rcip.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Draft and stuff...
> Date: Tuesday, June 24, 1997 8:42 PM
>
> >From: casey soulies <corndog@rcip.com>
> >
> >	I am hoping that Philly takes Van Horn with the 2nd pick, because we
> really need a point guard not more offensive minded forwards.  If we take
> Van Horn we will 5 guys at the position (walker, williams, weatherspoon,
> cage, and now Van Horn) this would not help our needful areas.  If we
take
> Billups at three and steal Mercer at 6 then we are set to get things
going.
>  With our 1 - 3 spots sured up this coming off-season we could (after
spoon
> and cage are let go) we could use some of that money to sign one of the
> many talented Powerforwards of the free-agent crop (smith, McDyess,
ect...)
> or wait another year and sign Baker away from the Bucks.  Either way the
> draft and our future weighs heavily on the 2nd overall selection by
philly...

> Agree or disagree???

I disagree.  Don't consider Spoon and Cage when you look at who we will
draft, because they are just here as a result of the salary cap dump.  Cage
is certainly not part of the long term plans for this team, and i'm
guessing that Spoon isn't either.  Pitino said in the press conference
monday that the outcome of the Dino situation (whether or not the trade
went through) had no impact on who he will draft.

My gut feeling is that he will go with Van Horn at 3 unless he trades the
pick.  Van Horn is thought of by many of the experts to be the second best
player in the draft, and a player who Philly would love to take except for
the fact that he doesn't want to play for them.  Plus, Pitino has been
saying things about Van Horn that sound to me like he's defending him.
He's assured us all that Van Horn is not another Michael Smith when that
rumor was hot, and he's assured us that he's 6-10 1/4 in stocking feet when
people were saying he's closer to 6-9.  If Philly lays off Billups then
he's my second choice for this pick.

Unless there's a major surprise, Mercer will be there at 6 but i don't
think we'll take him.  I think that it will be McGrady because of his
potential.  Mercer would be my second choice for this pick, however,
because i don't think Pitino likes Tim Thomas or Foyle very much.

Jeff