Marc Lamphier wrote:

> >Date: Sun, 22 Jun 1997 17:59:52 GMT
> >From: wfcooper@tiac.com (Bill Cooper)
> >Subject: Re: Radja Trade
> >
> [snip
>
> >Pitino is clearly not willing to stand pat and wait for things to
> >develop  He's eager to make his mark on the team before the start of
> >the next season.  This strategy has two risks:  That he might get
> >stuck with a poor team next year and catch some flak for pulling down
> >the big bucks without delivering.  Or that he might get caught in the
> >middle (a la the early 90's Cleveland Cavaliers).  A lot of solid
> >players, but no real franchise player.
> >

> In one of the Globe articles Pitino says his goal is to ultimately end up
> with 3 all-stars, and he thinks he already has one in Walker. This is the
> same thing Red Auerbach said earlier in the year when interviewed about the
> future of the Celtics at the All-Star game; "to win a championship, you
> need three great players"

Baker could be the second.

> If this is his goal and he means it Pitino is going to be hesitant to
> commit too much to players who are good but not great. I say the watchword
> over the next year or two is flexibility - shorter contracts, younger
> players -- so that when the opportunities come up the Celts will be able to
> commit to the players they ultimately want to get.

Fox and Wesley are doing us a great service by offering to sign short
term deals.  They have shown a superb attitude and will to win.

I say the Celts should package Pervis, Dee, Williams, 3 & 6 for Baker,
Gilliam, and 10.  This would give us flexibility, an allstar, and a big
body.