Re: globe news (!)

- ----------
> From: SKMISHRA.US.ORACLE.COM <SKMISHRA@us.oracle.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Re: globe news (!)
> Date: Thursday, June 19, 1997 7:01 PM
>
> Let's assume that it will be a lottery pick..so who are we going to draft
next
> year? According to scouts there is no big player even in high school
who's
> capable of developing into a legit center. The next years class of top
> draftee's is almost predictable and will include: Jamison, LeFrantz, Paul

> Pierce, Miles Simon, Lamar Odom. It's possible that there will be
somebody
> else whose stock will rise and he makes to the top but chances of that
> happening is remote. I don't see a big time center or a marquee player in
the
> above bunch, so how does it matter if we give away a draft pick this year
> either clear the salary cap or get a marquee player.
>                                  - Mishra

Don't be so sure about who the top players in next year's draft will be,
because it's not nearly as predictable as you say.  I'd be willing to bet
that if a so called "draft expert" listed 10 players right now who he
expects to be top 10 picks in the '98 he wouldn't get more than 5 right.

Consider this year's draft.  looking back from this point last season, did
anyone think that Antonio Daniels, Tony Battie, Chauncey Billups, Tracy
McGrady, Kelvin Cato, or even Ron Mercer would be a top 10 pick?
Definitely not Daniels, Battie, Billups, McGrady, and Cato, and probably
not Mercer.  Everyone was talking about guys like Shea Seals, Danny
Fortson, Jacque Vaughn, Jason Lawson, Anthony Parker, and some other guys
whose stocks have left them predicted below #10.  Yes they were talking
about Duncan and Van Horn also, and those guys retained their stock, but
they are really the only ones on Levanthal's top 10 who i think all the
experts would have gotten right.  Maybe Tim Thomas also, but still that's
only 3 out of 10.

My point is that a lot can happen between now and next year, so we really
have no idea how much next year's draft pick will be worth to us.

Jeff