sport338.htm

Here is another interesting article from the Denver Post.  Their coverage
has been a lot better than the Globe lately

****dave

   The Denver Post Online

                                   Sports

                    Nuggets' eye isn't exactly on Mercer

   By Vicki Michaelis
   Denver Post Sports Writer

   June 12 - Even before Kentucky's Ron Mercer declared for the upcoming
   NBA draft, widespread talk had him going at No. 2 or No. 3. Months
   later, no one is quite so sure Q not even Mercer.

   "In this draft, you never know," said Mercer, who worked out Wednesday
   for the Denver Nuggets, who have the No. 5 pick in the June 25 draft.
   "If I go at five, it's fine. I just want to play, that's all. It
   doesn't really bother me where I go." But the fact that Mercer no
   longer is a consensus top-three pick says a lot about the lack of
   depth in this year's draft.

   Most years, the top-of-the-draft order is determined by the perceived
   talent of the players available. This year, though, the only sure bet
   seems to be Wake Forest's Tim Duncan, who is likely to go to San
   Antonio at No. 1.

   Beyond that, teams appear to be weighing which player would best suit
   their needs rather than which players are best - because, beyond
   Duncan, that is a subject open to interpretation.

   "I don't think everyone quite feels comfortable with which direction
   they're going," said Allan Bristow, the Nuggets' vice president of
   basketball operations.

   The Nuggets' discomfort level is evident in the procession of
   prospects they will work out in the next two weeks. The group ranges
   from Mercer to Colgate center Adonal Foyle, who will work out today,
   to Utah forward Keith Van Horn, who will be here Monday.

   Of all the players the Nuggets are bringing in, Mercer seems among the
   least likely to end up in a Nuggets uniform. He played small forward
   at Kentucky, a position the Nuggets are concerned about because of the
   injury to LaPhonso Ellis, but Bristow characterized Mercer more as a
   twoguard. There, the Nuggets have Bryant Stith.

   Because the Nuggets' needs at other positions are more acute, it's
   unlikely they would use their No. 5 pick to take Mercer. So why bring
   him in?

   "Some of the qualities that attracted us to Ron - I think one is his
   athletic ability," Bristow said. "He runs the floor well. He moves
   well without the basketball. In the type of game we're trying to
   establish here, in the running-type game that Bill (Hanzlik) wants to
   produce here, you've got to look at those types of players." The
   Nuggets, in other words, want to make sure that if the 6foot-7,
   210-pound Mercer is still available at No. 5, they don't pass on a
   player perfect for their system.

   At the time Mercer, who was a sophomore at Kentucky last season,
   declared for the draft, it would have seemed silly for the team with
   the fifth pick even to consider him.

   Draftniks had him and Van Horn rounding out the top three. Now, it's
   possible both those players could be around for Denver to take.

   Philadelphia, with the No. 2 pick, is said to be looking at Texas Tech
   center Tony Battie, who would fill a gaping hole in the 76ers' lineup.
   Boston and Vancouver, third and fourth respectively, are said to be
   considering point guards.

   Combine that with new Boston and former Kentucky coach Rick Pitino's
   innuendos about Mercer, and it's easy to understand why his number has
   dropped. Pitino has implied he won't take Mercer with either of
   Boston's top-10 picks (they also have No. 6). That has some other
   teams wondering why, although they're also wondering if Pitino is
   merely posturing.

   "Maybe he doesn't need the position I play in the system he has right
   now," Mercer said of Pitino's position. "It wouldn't bother me at all.
   I understand it's a business and nothing personal.''

   Reporters can be reached at sports@denverpost.com.

   Return to Top
   Return to Sports
   Return to Post Home