Signings

Excerpts from ESPN:

BOSTON -- In three months, the Boston Celtics start their season against
Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and the rest of the NBA champions. On
Monday, they signed Andrew DeClercq, Tony Massenburg and Bruce Bowen.

Celtics coach Rick Pitino is under no illusions that his rebuilt team is
ready for top competition.

Opening against the Chicago Bulls on Oct. 31, "is not the worst thing in
the world because ... no one expects you to win that so you can just play
hard and relax," Pitino said.

"Whether we're being realistic in saying we can make the playoffs, probably
not, but I've always lived as a coach in an unrealistic world. ... You try
to win every game."

Pitino became coach May 6 after M.L. Carr led the Celtics to a 15-67
record, the worst in team history and second-worst in the league last
season.

Since taking over, Pitino has jettisoned all but six players who were with
the team last season -- Antoine Walker, Eric Williams, Dee Brown, Dana
Barros, Greg Minor and Pervis Ellison.

Pitino added first-round draft picks Chauncey Billups and Ron Mercer at
guard and signed free agent center Travis Knight from the Los Angeles
Lakers. Then came Monday's announcement that three other big men had
signed.

"We may run into problems with just getting used to being with each other,"
DeClercq said, "but as the season goes on, you see each other so much, you
work with each other so much, you learn your teammates."

Pitino said, "You have to, in the first year because the first year is the
most crucial, bring in players that are really willing to commit themselves
to the franchise and are willing to work hard."

DeClercq, Massenburg and Bowen all fit that description, he said. DeClercq
signed a reported five-year, $8.4 million deal, while Massenburg signed for
three years and Bowen for two.

DeClercq, a 6-foot-10, 230-pounder who played at Florida, spent his two NBA
seasons with Golden State and became a free agent after averaging 5.3
points, 4.2 rebounds and 15 minutes in 71 games last season.

"He's a jump shot away from being outstanding," Pitino said.

DeClercq and the 6-7, 250-pound Massenburg, who played briefly for Boston
in 1991-92 and averaged 7.2 points and 6.5 rebounds in 79 games for New
Jersey last season, fill Boston's need for physical players.

Massenburg, who turns 30 Thursday, also gives a young team experience.

The 6-7 Bowen, who left Cal State-Fullerton in 1993, spent last season
playing in France, where he averaged 23.2 points in 20 games, and in the
CBA. His only NBA experience is one minute in one game with the Miami Heat
last March 14.

"I think we have ourselves a real sleeper," Pitino said. "He has wonderful
size. He scores."

"If I'm a sleeper, I'm a sleeper," Bowen said, "but I can only sleep so
long."

Dino Radja's decision to return to Europe after four seasons with Boston
freed up about $2.8 million this year that helped the Celtics add the three
players.

Pitino said the salary cap is expected to go up by about $1.4 million on
Aug. 16 and that he could add one or two more players, although the current
squad is the nucleus of his first Celtics team.

He appeared to write off a plunge into the rich free agent market after
next season, saying the expected $7 million to $10 million price tag on
many of the players might be too much for a team that may have to pay that
much or more the following year to Walker when he becomes a free agent