Billups/White

Cecil Wright wrote:

> While I'm at it, I would be very happy if Billups patterned his game
> after someone like JoJo, who I felt got a very raw deal toward the end of
> his career in Boston.  Anybody disagree?

Are you kidding?  Jojo White was maybe a cut or two below West and
Frazier.  If "Smooth" is anything close to the player White was, we're
on our way.

Jason Drisko wrote:

 It appears that we will not even try to contend in the major free-agent
        spree next summer.  Pitino seems to think that all of the big
name
        players are going to stay where they are because only the teams
that
        they play for can offer the money that they want.  It's not
exactly
        the attitude I would hope Pitino would have.  How about taking
care
        of the power forward spot with Baker next year Rick??

Hate to disagree with Jason, but getting Baker as a free agent would be
virtually impossible.  If Big Country is commanding $11 mil per, what on
earth would the C's have to pay Vin?  $20 mil?  Sure, he wants to come
home, but you can't seriously think he'll take a contract with anything
less than 9 digits in it.  There simply won't be the cap room, and there
wouldn't have been if Pitino hadn't signed Knight, DeClerq, Bowen and
Massenburg (all of whom are going to look like bargains in a year or
two).  The only way we get Baker is for a package including Eric
Williams.

Incidentally, any early predictions on what kind of contract Antoine
will be getting next summer?   My guess -- 6 years (starting in '99-00),
$95 million.  Enough to turn your stomach, ain't it?

Michael Gooen