Who signed Dee Brown?

Some people keep saying that Dave Gavitt signed Dee Brown, but I seem
to remember that signing Brown was M.L.'s first move - he offered Fox
a contract, Fox's agent implied that he would sign, then M.L. signed
Dee, Fox asked for more money, and M.L. took the offer off the table.
At least that's how I remember it.  Can anyone tell me for sure?  I
don't mean from memory, I mean someone with a reliable reference source.

(Without citing a reference source, I won't trust anyone except Jason. :) )