Re: RE: Vin Baker

There is no way that Pitino will trade Chauncey Billups.  You guys can talk
all you want, but Pitino thinks high of this guy.  It would have to take a
ridiculous offer to pry Chauncey from Boston.  And that deal is far from
profitable for the Celtics.  He has as much insurance as Antoine in my
opinion.  A lineup with Chauncey and EW looks more impressive in my
opinion.  In time, I know that Chauncey will be much better than Baker.  We
need to remember that Baker is not exactly a great power forward.  He is
not top 5.  Why should we give up a young pg, a promising sf, a very
sharpshooter, and another high pick for an AVERAGE pf  and a sucky pg?

        Timothy Jordan
        PatsRule90@geocities.com
        http://members.aol.com/PatsRule90

        ** PATRIOTS IN '98 **

- ----------
> From: SKMISHRA.US.ORACLE.COM <SKMISHRA@us.oracle.com>
> To: celtics@igtc.COM
> Subject: Re: RE: Vin Baker
> Date: Tuesday, July 22, 1997 6:47 PM
>
> > I agree with you that Baker is a very talented player, but what will
> > Baker by himself be able to accomplish in Boston? Milwaukee is unlikely

> > to give up Baker for Billups, Williams and deadwood. If they did, then
> > what would we do for a point guard?
>
> Suppose for the sake of argument we give away Billups + Williams + Barros
+
> 1st rounder in 99 for Baker and Elliot Perry. We have the following
lineup:
> PG: Brown , Perry
> SG: Mercer, Minor
> SF: Walker, ??
> PF: Baker,  Andrew DeClercq
> C:  Knight, Ellison
>
> This is a good team with a bonafide star. we are weak at center and pg,
the
> former we can have only serviceable one's but a good pg can be aquired.
We all
> know that it is easier to aquire a star guard <unless he happens to be MJ
or
> maybe Penny Hardaway> then to aquire a PF or a center.
>
> > I think we need to be patient here. The nucleus is beginning to develop

> > - let's see how it performs next season before making any judgements as

> > to replacements/trades, etc.
>
> I don't see the value of patience here, we need to improve our team right
now.
> we need to go to playoffs the coming season. Coaches who wait for talent
> develop are losers in my book and you can lookup any number of examples.
>
> > What do you think of getting de Clerq instead of Weatherspoon and Cage?

> DeClercq is a good backup and I have watched him quite a lot since I live
in
> sanfrancisco. He gives us some atheleticism and rebounding but he is
terribly
> foul prone and misses lot of easy put-ups. He is a hardworking guy which
is a
> big positive but I don't see him playing more than 15 minutes.
Weatherspoon on
> the otherhand could have been a starter at PF but then our front line
becomes
> small and I hate that. We need size and that's one reason why I like
Baker. He