Re: Vin Baker

- ----------
> > The Riley analogy, Mishra, is incomplete. Don't forget Tim Hardaway was
a huge part of Miami's success, I dare say, more so than Mourning. One of
the reasons I say this is because Mourning almost disappeared against the
Bulls, except for one game.

> Riley aquired Hardaway much later, but I belive his aquisition of Alonzo
Mourning, has paid off many times over. Mourning provides them with the
> inside threat that enables Hardaway to take all those outside shots. Yes!
Alonzo did vanish against the Bulls,  the reason for which is that Miami is
a star player away from being a championship contender and P.J.Brown is not
that player.

Alonzo got killed by Ewing also.  He has not proven he can bring it when
the heat is on.  P.J Brown's 15 minutes of fame came in his wrestling match
with Charlie Ward that eventually won the series for Miami, otherwise he is
a big flop.  Lenard, Hardaway & Austin were keys to Miami's success.

> > Alonzo also has a pretty good supporting cast in PJ Brown, Voshon
Leonard and the centre who substitutes for > > him - Austin? or something -
I can't> remember.

> The theory is that one needs 3 star players and two good ones to win a
championship. Miami doesn't have that 3rd player. I will be elated if the
celtics post a record comparable to the Heats' under Riley's 1st year.

> > My problem with the trade for Vin Baker is that we are giving up too
much to acquire just that one player. The combination of Walker,Williams,
Mercer, Billups and the rest is definitely a threat, especially when you
consider the fact that they are being coached by Pitino.

I don't know if you can really say that. Other than Antoines impressive
rookie campaign the others have a lot to prove.  We could strike it rich
and get a Payton & Grant Hill type, but we could also end up with a Donyell
Marshall's, Lionel Simmons, Bobby Hurley, especially if the chemistry is
not there and be looking to move them as Dallas eventually did.

> We are not giving too much, if you go by Pitino's analysis he was willing
to give up Mercer & Billups for a scottie, and had pippen been 27 years old
that would have been outstanding trade. I was proposing to give Billups &