Re: Celtics in '98?

I just hope all you fellow Celtic fans aren't getting too excited for
next year. I've heard people saying that they expect the Celts to be a
.500 team and make the playoffs. In my eyes that's very unrealistic. Take
Mercer and Billups; I was thrilled when they were drafted; I can't wait
to see them in the same backcourt for years to come; and I think that
they will be all-stars... BUT, don't think that these two youngsters will
lead us to the playoffs as early as next year. I can only imagine what
the 76ers mailing list must've been like before last season with the idea
of Iverson and Stackhouse (two better players than Mercer and Billups) as
a starting backcourt, and look what happened to them. Now, granted the
76ers didn't have Rick "The Messiah" Pitino running the show, but I
wouldn't be too surprised if we fared about as well as Philly did last
year. If that's the case, then you won't see me crying because I like
next year's draft lottery (and I get the feeling that I'm the only one).
Let me explain. I look at next year's crop of potential draftees and I
see a few players that I would love to see sporting Celtic green.
Somebody mentioned that Miles Simon of Arizona is the only quality player
for next year's draft. Well, you can have Miles Simon. In the NBA, guys
like Miles Simon are a dime-a-dozen. Sure he had a good Final Four
performance, but we all know that that doesn't translate into a good pro,
or even a pro career (Scotty Thurmond, Arkansas). I like the obvious guys
like Raef LaFrentz, Antawn Jamison, and Paul Pierce. LaFrentz and Pierce
are definite Celtic material. Also, who would make a better Celtic than a
good ol' Irish boy. I'm talking about Notre Dame's Pat Garrity. Sure he's
in the same mold of Travis Knight and Andrew Declerqc, but this kid is
all heart and often gets overshadowed by other Big East stars at more
prominent Big East basketball schools. Other players who I wouldn't mind
having (although not born to be Celtics like LaFrentz, Pierce, and
Garrity) include swat machine Jelani McCoy of UCLA; Tim Duncan's
understudy at Wake Forest, Loren Woods (this kid is the 2nd coming of
Duncan and will show everybody how good he is now that he's the man at
Wake); my fellow UMass student, Lari Ketner, who is definitely lottery
bound with his size (6'11", 260) and athleticism. So Celts fans, the
lottery might actually be a blessing, if only ML were still around for
tanking purposes.

Celts are Pissah!
Wicked Pissah!

Geoff