Re: Franchise players

>Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 17:09:32 -0400
>To: "Timothy Jordan" <patsrule90@geocities.com>
>From: "Ronald H. Evans" <ronald_evans@pipeline.com>
>Subject: Re: Franchise players
>
>At 12:15 PM 7/15/97 -0400, you wrote:
>>I agree totally.  Antoine will probably be the franchise player soon, but
>>right now he isn't close.  He isn't the most talented on the team either.
>>Antoine is a good basketball with a lot of potential, but right now isn't
>>the time for Antoine to be the "franchise".  Right now, Dee Brown is the
>>most talented, but he isn't the franchise player.
>
>I disagree. Harking back to my earlier point about talent versus
utilization, I think Antoine and Dee are equally talented but both utilize
their abilities in a way that doesn't allow them to blossom to their full
potential. While the best part of their games is getting to the hoop,
neither do it as often as they should. Dee takes far too many outside shots,
while Antoine forces shots in the post.
>        As to their potential to be franchise players, I would prefer that
they do not assume that title. After watching Dino for a few years I
realized for every Hill or Jordan there is an Iverson or a Coleman --players
that are talented but do not help their team win. Dino could score, padding
his own stats and improving his reputation as the "franchise player", but
his unwillingness to pass from the double team and poor defensive did more
to help the team lose than his offense did to help the team win. I would
prefer a team without stars, one that flourishes due to good offensive
execution rather than one player's dominance.
>        On the other hand, I may eat my words if Antoine becomes a
franchise player in the stockton/walton mold, a player who dominates a game
rather than a stat sheet. If he limits his offense to open layups, assists
and tips off the offense glass, finding a role that complemented his
abilities, he could very well bring the celtics to another championship.