more salary cap stuff

Another aspect of the players agreement signed last year is that it
seriously weakens the impact of the draft. Now we have a situation where
all rookies become free agents after 3 years and its possible -- no, its
likely -- that a good portion of them are going to leave their original
teams.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? What do people think? I guess it means
that a franchise has to have more then the luck of the draw going for it to
acquire good players. Franchises with a lot of cash, those located in a
major media market and those that have an attractive organization and
winning record will succeed, while teams like the Clippers and the Kings
will get worse.

There is an extended discussion of the merits and demerits of the NBA free
agency system v.s. the NHL free agency system at ESPN. Under the NHL system
teams have a good chance of keep their own players until they are in their
30s.

http://espnet.sportszone.com/editors/talk/show/970708free.html

- -Marc