Re: Cap question & Strong?

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997 06:11:02 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:

>>From yesterday's globe:
>"If the Celtics do compensate Radja for leaving the team,=20
>NBA sources indicated the money would in all likelihood apply to=20
>Boston's team salary cap. Pitino said yesterday that he expected the=20
>Celtics to have around $2.8 million available if the deal went through.=20
>If that's the case, the Celtics would be paying around $7.5 million for=20
>Radja to leave Boston and play in Greece; with his salary totally erased=
=20
>from the books, the Celtics are almost $6 million under the cap. "
>
>So do we have 3 m or 6 m under the cap?  And since when does Derek =
Strong get
>3m a year?  The guy is strong and athletic, but strictly a tenth man.  =
I'd
>like to see us get Jayson Williams with that money.  If you read his =
thing in
>GQ you know he cant stand Calipari.

As far as I can tell, assuming that the salary cap for this coming
season is 26 million, that the C's recover 28 million of Dino's salary
and a couple of other minor things, the Celts should have 3-4 million
to spend.  These are the numbers that I have so far:

Barros   	3.6
Brown  	3.5
Radla    	3.0
Walker	            1.55
Williams         1.244
Ellison	             2.09
Minor	             1.73
Knight	             1.96
	         17.474
DRaftees	 3.5
SubT	         20.974
cap	               26
	           3.826

If the cap is only 25.5 million and the two draftees are owed 4.0
million instead of 3.5 (I'm not to sure of that number) then 2.8
million sounds about right.

As far as Derek Strong goes, I don't think it matters how much he's
paid:  the only thing that really matters is the length of the
contract.  I don't much care who Rick signs as long as it's only for 1
season.  If he signs anyone for the long term he had better be very
sure that they are going o be able to contribute to a contending team.

Bill Cooper
wfcooper@tiac.com