Re: Announcers

> >Thank God we at least still have the same announcers,
>
> Not any more.  It was reported in today's Globe that the Celtics
> will not renew the contract of play-by-play announcer Spencer
> Ross.  Cedric Maxwell will remain as the analyst.  Maxwell,
> although he was an excellent player, is in my opinion, a terrible
> announcer.
>
> It is still sad to realize that we will never again hear "It's
> pandemonium at the Garden".
>
> Charles

  What is it about Maxwell that you don't like?  In my opinion, he's
not what we're used to hearing from a radio announcer, so some people
might think he sounds a bit sloppy, but I actually love his colorful
style of commentary.  After all, Spencer Ross was the "play-by-play"
announcer, so Cedric's job is to be the "color" announcer, and he
cracks me up with the way he describes things.  He's got to have the
most colorful way of making a point of any color announcer I've heard.

  On top of that, his comments are very insightful, for example, he often
talks about how a player could have handled a situation differently when
they make a mistake that is hard for the casual observer to see.  He
doesn't just state the obvious like some announcers.

  I'm glad to see Spencer go.  He might have that professional announcer's
voice, but he just seemed way to fake sounding, and not interesting at all.

  Does anyone else out there like Maxwell?  I imagine he's the kind of guy
you either love or hate as an announcer.

  Has anyone heard the new play-by-play guy before?  Evidently he's one of
these nationally recognized announcers but I've never heard of him.  What
is he like?

Jon Mc