Re: Renouncing free agents

>Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:00:25 -0400
>To: Michael Murray <michaelm@flex.com.au>
>From: "Ronald H. Evans" <ronald_evans@pipeline.com>
>Subject: Re: Renouncing free agents
>
>At 12:36 PM 7/11/97 +1000, you wrote:
>>Yeah, that's right. Despite what people may have thought about him on this
>>list, there is no question that he is a Celtic through and through. I bet
>>that if you cut him in two, he would have green blood. He was the media's
>>whipping boy throughout last season, but through all of that, he still had
>>a smile on his face, as demonstrated by his deed in that cafe. I just hope
>>that when, in the next few years, we are a title threat, you will all thank
>>M.L., for he has gotten us to this point, for he will have deserved it.
>
>I agree. We, as celtics fans, owe ML an apology. As player, his defensive
efforts were for the good of the team, not individual accolade. As a GM and
coach, he did the same thing. After his initial, well-meaning
mistakes(pervis, dominique[I think these are ML signees]) he record is
commendable. He got us an all-star(Barros although he didn't work out),got
rid of Sherman's large contract facilitating Wesley's development at the
same time, got us Antoine and Ron at the neglible expense of Montross, and
most of all tried to get us Duncan by losing. For his efforts he was
unremmitantly lambasted by us and the press. We called him an "idiot", a
"loser" but he persevered, with a smile on his face.Even history will not
vindicate him because Pitino will get all the credit for turning the celtics
around(much of it deserved). ML set himself up to be our scapegoat, fully
realizing what would happen, but discarded his own personal interest for
that of the team.
>        On that note, I would like for us to write ML, Wesley, Fox and
Conlon apologies for their treatment by the celtics and letters thanking
them for their contributions. Then everyone on the list who wanted too could
sign them. Any takers?