Re: FUN

Yes, you're mostly right.  And even Dee admits it.  An article that
appeared in today's Concord (NH) Monitor, touched on this subject.  The
article, entitled "Brown prepared to rebound and make another go of it" (by
Jimmy Golen for the Associated Press) speaks about Dee's problems the last
two years...

"I wish I had those two years back," Brown said.  "The light at the end of
the tunnel wasn't there.  It was dark.  When you've been in the league
eight or nine years, you feel like now's the time to be shooting for that
ring."

Still, he doesn't blame Carr for his problems.

"It wasn't me versus M.L.  I think it was more me versus myself," Brown
said.

"I just didn't get myself ready for those situations."

On a more positive note the article went on to say:

With Pitino he vows not to make the same mistakes.  Brown has been working
out twice a day, six days a week this summer.  The Celtic's strength and
conditioning coach visits once a week to check on him.

In the past Brown has come to camp purposely overweight in order to be
bulked up for the long NBA season.  But Pitino is hoping that a slimmer
Brown will be quicker.

Asked what his ideal weight is, Brown said, "Coach Pitino wants me at 185.
I'll be at 185."

The article also suggested that Brown is a likely candidate to be the next
captain of the C's as Caoch Pitino is a big fan of his.

Since taking over the Celtics, Pitino has praised Brown's talents and
offered an amnesty... "I'm very excited about Dee Brown," the former
Kentucky coach said.

"I think you're going to see a wiser person who has learned from his
mistakes and is going to be as good as ever."

Today's Boston Herald had a similar article "He's Dee-lighted to stay now"
(by Steve Bulpett).

In any case, it seems that things are looking up for Dee, and I hope things
work out well for him and the Celtics.  I would like to add, however, that
many well paid professional athletes would likely be affected by being in
their coach's doghouse. For whatever reason, things went bad between M.L.
and Dee, and it affected his performance on the court.  While I don't blame
M.L. for everything, I do believe that the Celtics misused Dee, and I do
feel some sympathy for what he had to go through.  That's all in the past,
however, and it looks as though a new leaf has been turned.  I'm feeling
very positive about Dee now, and excited at the prospect of seeing him be a
solid contributor alongside Mercer, Billups and Barros.

Gregg Allen