Enough about Fox, already!

     Look, Rick Fox was just about the only Celtic that came to play for a
     long time, and he will be missed for that, but we have a bright future
     here that realistically has no place for him or the salary he would
     command.  There are certainly players still on the roster that I'd
     have liked to seen go first, but it was inevitable.  Let's move on.

     This trade with Phoenix would be interesting, as Wesley Person and
     Cedric Ceballos both have talent, though I don't know what kind of
     long-term contracts they might be sitting on.  Ceballos would fill the
     big forward role pretty well, and Person is a pretty good young player
     (though at a position we don't really need).  I don't know that I'd
     want to part with Williams for them, though, but it might be worth it
     to take one of the big contracts off our hands.

     As much as I'd like to think we have some hot trades in the works for
     Barros, Minor and/or Dee Brown, we realistically will start the season
     with all of them still on the roster.  I'm thinking it'll shape up
     like this on opening day:

     Guards: Billups, Mercer, Brown, Barros, Minor
     Forwards: Walker, Williams, Ellison, DeClerq
     Centers: Knight, Joseph, Williams

     They get rid of Radja and sign Andrew DeClerq, then just bring two of
     the giants they've got in camp now to collect fouls and see which one
     starts to improve faster.  As the season wears on, though, we'll have
     a much better chance of trading some of the other guys - particular
     Barros or Brown.  I agree with those who say that Dee is due for a
     rebirth under Pitino this year, and I hope that Dana is similarly
     inspired.  I worry, though, that Barros will be the odd man out on the
     guard rotation, and that his trade value (which is actually pretty
     good right now) will drop as a result.  Ideally, I'd like us to start
     the season without Barros or Minor (but keeping Dee and Pervis around
     - though the right deal could quickly have me singing a different
     tune).

     Has anyone expressed any interest in Minor?  There are a lot of
     marginal players out there that I would trade for him in a heartbeat
     (I'd take a future second round pick for him, but no one would even do
     that because of his contract).

     It's sometimes hard to keep perspective on this whole thing,
     especially when you're reading 50-100 messages from rabid Celtics fans
     every day, but this is truly a rebuilding year for the C's.
     Certainly, they will be a MUCH more exciting team to watch this year,
     and by the end of the season will be giving the best teams in the
     league a run for their money (barring injury, of course).  They'll
     probably squeak into the playoffs, maybe even get in to the second
     round (if the leprechaun smiles on us), but given the yardstick to
     which we hold all Celtics teams, it's not sufficient (if this were
     Sacramento, it would be a different story).  Next year, they'll have a
     decent draft pick (some size would be nice), and they might get a good
     free agent (but I think they'll be out of the running for most of the
     guys that are consistently mentioned on this list).  Pitino is doing,
     and will continue to do, all that he can to jump start the rebuilding
     process, but Rome and the Bulls weren't built in a day.

     Back to DeClerq for a second.  I think he's their man, despite what
     you hear about Derek Strong, Outlaw, etc.  The price will be right,
     and he made quite an impression on Pitino in college.  I haven't seen
     anything on him in the pros, however, except his Knight-like stats.
     Does anyone have any more insight?  Maybe some of you guys out in the
     Bay Area will have some tips...

     Enough of my rambling for now.  Any thoughts?

                - Damon