Re: Rebounder

>Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 14:20:01 -0400
>To: "Timothy Jordan" <patsrule90@geocities.com>
>From: "Ronald H. Evans" <ronald_evans@pipeline.com>
>Subject: Re: Rebounder
>
>At 11:39 AM 7/9/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>Antoine Walker is a good rebounder but isn't gonna give you 12 a game like
>>a Rodman, Williams, or Barkley.
>
>I'm not so sure about that. Rebounds are a product of desire, something
Antoine shows a lot of. When I see Antoine I see him as a rodman in his
generative stages. With his athleticism and persistance he may indeed become
another Rodman(in terms of rebounding). Although he may never be strong
enough to rebound using the box out method using the block and check instead*

>> Plus, Walker had to play center for the Celtics last year in certain
>situations.  I don't think we want Walker to stay down low on defense every
>time.  He is too quick to be down low.
>
>He is exceedingly quick, but at the moment he's the best we've got down
low. He can block shots better than Williams and more mobile. If he goes to
the weight room enough he should be able to get enough bulk to stop the
skinnier power forwards(although all of this is contingent on Pitino getting
him to play defense at all).

>>Plus, bigger men will post up on him if he plays down low.  He did not get
>>a good defense lesson from ML Carr last year.
>
>Under Pitino's trapping defensive system, post up players are usually
(realtively) ineffective unless they can pass. Anyone who tries to post
Walker up will find himself surrounded by defenders(i.e. the Seattle/Houston
series last year).

>> I don't expect the same kind
>>of numbers for Antoine this year at rebounds.
>
>Actually I expect him to garner far more rebounds this year. Now that there
are other competant options on offense Antoine should be far more successful
crashing the Boards for tips and offensive rebounds. In terms of defensive
rebounds you may be right. If Knight and Pervis stay healthy and the taller
guards provide extra rebounds the will probably steal a few rebounds that
would otherwise be Antoine's.

>Noah
>
>*The block and check method, advocated by John Wooden, involves blocking
the opposing players path to the basket without contact and then using
superior speed and leaping ability to grab the rebound before the opponant.