Celtics current roster

The dust settles on this new Celtic roster:

Travis Knight, C-F
Pervis Ellison, C-F
Dino Radja, F-C
Antoine Walker, F
Eric Williams, F
Greg Minor, G-F
Ron Mercer, G
Chauncey Billups, G
Dee Brown, G
Dana Barros, G

The weakness on this team is still clearly the 4/5 positions.  Assuming
Radja stays (though I hope he leaves) the Celtics have two roster spots
available to use on big center projects, such as Garth Joseph and Lorenzo
Coleman, both of whom are in camp.

I think that this group of players could very likely be a nucleus of a
future title winning team.  Given that the C's have restored height to the
backcourt, I think that Brown and Barros will be better able to
contribute.  The biggest weakness in the backcourt will be the inexperience
of Billups and Mercer.  In a year or two, it won't be a problem.  At
forward, the C's are also set, with many versatile, talented players:
Walker, Williams, Ellison, Knight, and Radja (if we are stuck with him).
The big weakness is the center position, which will be manned by the likes
of Ellison, Knight, Radja, and a project or two.

Michael Byrnes
mbyrnes@stanford.edu