Re: Knight's contract

>Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 09:18:29 -0400 (EDT)
>From: JOzersky@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Travis Knight
>
>The Knight contract is staggered so he is only making 1.75 when the 98 FAs
>roll around -- not that they're so great.  Plus there are should be opt outs
>at three years for both sides.  In addition, at no time does Knight make as
>much as Radja, Barros, or Ellison, no?

Put in this perspective the deal doesn't sound so bad -- assuming the Celts
have an out in 3 years as well. I'd heard that Knight has an out, but
hadn't heard about the Celts. If the Celts also have an out then
essentially the deal is that we pay Knight an avg. 2.3 mil/year for the
next three years and see how he works out. If he works out and both sides
agree then they up his salary to 3 - 4 mil/year. If they decide he is not
worth it they renounce his salary and find someone else.

With the salary cap at 25 mil. this averages out to about 2 mil. per
player, thus as a Celtic Knight will be paid the avg. salary for the first
3 years.

(but somehow I have a sneaky feeling here that Knight has an out and the
Celts don't - anyone know?)

- -Marc