No Subject

On Sat, 5 Jul 1997 08:49:06 -0700, you wrote:

>WEEI is reporting that LA times is reporting that Travis Knight has been
>offered a 7 year 22 mill deal which he will accept on monday. Following is
>the breakup of how his this signing will impact the salary cap:
>Year 1 - 1.96
>Year 2 - 2.36
>Year 3 - 2.75
>Year 4 - 3.14
>Year 5 - 3.54
>Year 6 - 3.93
>Year 7 - 4.32
>
>I am happy with the signing but belive that RP paid about 7 mill extra.
>What do you all think.
>                                                            - Mishra
>
>Don't fight with a crocodile in water..Change the game.

Greetings,
	I don't know.  You put this together with the Pippen deal and
you have to wonder  what's going on with management (with the
important caveat that the option may make a lot of difference).  The
way to use your cap space is to gather it all into one season, not
fritter it away on players like Travis Knight.  Just remember why, in
a couple of years when the Celts are trying to sign Vin Baker, and
need an extra million or so to sweeten the deal. they won't have the
money.
	I don't think that the Celts have renounced Day yet (or
Brickowski) and I would certainly hope that they make a move with them
before they give up on resigning Fox (though I don't understand the
teams long term plan (if there is one) well enough to tell if that
makes sense).
	As far as Travis goes, I think he was succesful with the
Lakers last year because of all the attention that Shaq got.  His role
with the Lakers was similar to the one he played at UConn (where he
was the 3 or 4th banana on the team).  He is very used to playing off
the ball, and then diving into the lane for offensive rebounds.  When
Shaq was hurt last year and Travis went into the starting lineup he
was noticeably less effective (and Rooks actually nosed him out of
much of playing time, before Shaq came back).  On the plus side, he is
quite mobile for a big man and has a pretty decent jumper.  And the
move is probably going to be very popular down here is Husky country,
where traditional support for the Celts has been waning a bit.

Bill Cooper
wfcooper@tiac.com