> Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1997 13:52:10 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Jeremy <jwarren@emerald.tufts.edu>
> Subject: trade idea
>
>         I propose that we trade Eric Williams to Utah for Greg Ostertag.
> I know some of you love EW but he doesn't have a well defined role here
> and the big GO could be our long term solution at center.  Yes Ostertag
> could be signed as a free agent next year, but that would probably consume
> all of our cap space.  If we trade for him, only 150% of his current
> salary (around $600k) would count towards the cap during next year's free
> agency period.
>         That way we could get under the cap with other trades and make a
> run at a top flight 4 (such as Garnett, Wallace, Smith, McDysse, Jason
> Williams...).  Then we could go over the cap to resign Ostertag.
>         Ostertag is big (7'2") and TOUGH.  He neutralized Hakeem in the
> semifinals and played a big part in the finals to keep the Jazz in the
> series.

That's why Utah probably won't trade him. I don't see a role for
Williams on the Jazz -- they want a big guy too.

>         On a seperate note, I'm thrilled that the NBA is returning to the
> old three point line and banning the falling out of bounds time out.
> Remember the old days when Larry would throw the ball off someone's knee?
> That was much more exciting to see.  I hope they throw out all of the
> records that were set with the shortened three point line (ie Dana's
> consecutive games streak).  Micheal Adams' streak is the true record.

I also hope they get rid of this stupid rule where you can call time out
as you are falling out of bounds. A guy gets trapped in the corner and
this allows him a bail-out. Also it rewards the bizarre athletic skill
of being able to fall out of bounds holding the ball while
simultaneously turning in mid-air towards the ref with your hands making
a T-sign. Give me a break.

- -Marc