knight, pepper

          Thoughts on the latest goings on:

          I'm for signing Travis Knight if we can get him cheap and he
          doesn't tie up cap room for next year, when it counts. He is
          a serviceable center, but he's no Rik Smits, like someone
          suggested. Of the other names suggested, I guess I like Mark
          West, Duane Causwell (the youngest of the bunch) or Joe
          Kleine. Kleine might be a good presence around all the young
          guys.

          As far as the Pepper pick is concerned: He may never be a
          player, but Wallace sees enough potential there to warrant
          the no-lose gamble of a second-round pick. The Celts keep
          his rights forever, so if he develops into a force five
          years from now, he still belongs to Boston. If you draft a
          Shea Seals or Reggie Freeman, who 29 other teams also felt
          didn't deserve to be drafted, and they come in and fail to
          make the team, you lose them. How has that helped? Besides,
          we have enough back-up 2 guards. I think the Pepper pick
          makes sense.

          Finally, like everyone else, I'm hoping for a trade of
          Brown/Barros/Minor, although I think we have to realize that
          1) the return isn't going to be great and 2) we probably
          won't be able to dump the contracts. By that, I mean most
          trade offers probably will include players that have similar
          contracts.

          Mark