Re: Playing hard despite they are in ses

>>I really believe that Day
>>can be signed to a more than resonable, and favorable to the Celtics,
>>contract.  I mean, do you really think that there is going to be a
>>bidding war over DAY?  Not likely.  So if the Celtics show some
>>restraint, he could be steal.
>
>Good point. The problem with the Barros signing is that he was signed
above
>what other teams were willing to pay. Day will probably not command a
high
>price in the free agent market, and he would be worth it if signed to a
>modest contract.

1) I don't think that Day would except a "modest" contract.  People on
this list seem to think that Minor's contract was huge, but I'm sure
those are the numbers that Day and his agent are thinking of.  If the
Celtics won't bite, he'd probably just go elsewhere . . . The cap slot
(what is it, like $1.5 or $2 million?) is much more valuable to the
Celtics, and I expect they will just let him go.

2) Just my opinion, of course, but I would *hate* to see the Celtics
offer Day a contract, at any amount.  Regardless of how he has "improved"
his play in the past few games, we are still talking about a player who
considers himself a shooter, first and foremost.  Yet his FG% is
something like 40%.  A couple of flashy passes and a few nice shots don't
really help your team if you finish every night 5 for 12.  Especially if
those 7 missed shots occur during key moments in the game (as Todd's
invariably do).

On a side note, it was funny listening to Heinsohn and Cousy chatting
about Day during the Heat game last night.  Tommy made some comment about
how great he thought Day was and Cousy tries to bring him down to reality
by saying that Day is pretty inconsistent in his performances.  Heinsohn
then says something to the effect that "Well, he's had a hard time
getting minutes on this team, what with Minor having the starting role
and the Cs trying to showcase Dee.  With all of the injuries he's had a
chance to get some PT and consistency."  Yeah, right Tommy!

 --Bri