Re: 5 straight

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, CECIL WRIGHT wrote:

> Perhaps the poster should be more forthright about his true feelings in
> the first place.

Perhaps.  But even an ambiguous post does not deserve 4th grade insults in
response.  I would have taken less exception to your erroneous assumptions
were they not couhced in ridiculous banter.

> Regardless, there's no place for crude remarks like the crack about Len
> Bias.  I didn't mention anything at all about Reggie Lewis, however,
> based on your initial "INNOCUOUS" remark, I am touched that you are
> refraining from making an attempt to tarnish his image as well.

In your reply to my post you took exception to my remark where I said I
would rather be a Buffalo fan because their 1st round picks don't die in
their 20s.  I assume that we were talking about Both Lewis and Bias.
Whatever you think of this comment, it is certainly not an attempt to
tarnish Bias' image.

> Do you think that a relative of Bias, if they were part of the mailing
> list, would think it was a "Harmless" comment, or would they feel
> terribly insulted?

Proabably neither.  They might have thought that I was upset only by his
absence as it affected the Celtics on the court and thus that I was taking
his death too lightly (I thought this was your criticism).  This perceived
insensitivity would have bothered them, but if they were terribly
inuslted, I would say they overreacted.  It is not like I was cracking
Christie McCauliffe type jokes about his death.

Certainly after reading my reply in which I explained that my comment was
an expression of anguish at being a part of a community that has had to
suffer through two tragic deaths as well as missed opportunities on the
field/court, they would been at least somewhat placated.

I have explained my remark to you twice.  Since you have little basis for
judging my sincerity, I suggest you take it at face value.  But if you
decide not too, that is your problem, there is nothing more I can say.
I don't think that expressing one's disappointment through cynicism is as
big a crime as you do.

CJM