Re: Jacque Vaughn

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, mwmornin wrote:

>  I believe Jacque Vaughn would make an excellent point man for the
> Celtics. Most importantly, he has the intelligence to make wise decisions
> in the clutch. He also has the intangibles, like a strong leadership
> presence, something which has been missing since the Big 3 were in town.
> Kind of reminds me of Dennis Johnson, anyone agree?

I like Vaughn, but I'd rather trade down to get him.  I'm not sure he
justifies a top 7 pick.

The last few years the
> Celtics have been drafting big men and they've proven to be flops.

Whoa there...the last two pick were Eric Williams and Antoine
Walker..these were best player available picks, not big men picks.  The
year before that was Montross - who is definately not playing well now,
and may be a bust, but Montross was part of the reason the Celtics made it
into the playoffs that year.  He was a consensus lottery pick, and was
basicly traded for two high picks (not bad).

 The
> Celtics should look at a different perspective a draft a man who can run
> the show, someone that the team can rally around. I'm from Detroit myself
> so I know how Doug Collins rebuilt the Pistons first hand. He drafted
> Grant Hill, not the greatest college player ever, but very well-rounded
> and intelligent.

I could be wrong, but I didn't think Collins joined the Pistons until
after Hill was drafted.  I don't think he had anything to do with the
pick.  Hill was also a college star, and in terms of accomplishments, he
was one of the best - played multiple positions, good scoring, rebounding,
and assist numbers, multiple national titles + other final 4 trips.  His
performance in college was about as good as you can get.

 He's a leader, a team player, and a great role model.
> Then they added a wily veteran Otis Thorpe one who could step in and make
> an instant impact. Thorpe shows a thing or two to the younger big men,
> Ratliff, Reid and Williams. It took Doug Collins two years to turn the
> Pistons into a league contender again, I sincerely wish M.L. would take a
> page from Collins book. But to write that book the celtics need a quality
> coach, and that's something Boston is sure missing right now.

Again, you are giving Collins credit for other people's moves.  Collins
has done a great job coaching the Pistons since he got thee, but he didn't
build the team.  Moreover, the Pistons have had something the Celtics
haven't (yet)...

3 lottery picks in two years....

The Celtics will have that by this coming lottery.  Go ahead and make the
comparison two years after this coming lottery, and we'll see where things
stand.

As it is, the Pistons were mediocre with most of their picks:

Lottery:

Houston
Hunter
Hill

Hill is an exceptional player, and was a no brainer pick at number 3.  The
Celtics have not had a number three pick since McHale, and he had a
monster impact on the team.

Again, Collins has done well with the team, but he does not get credit for
getting the team the number three pick or being lucky enough to have
a player of Hills ability available there.

Adam